You've registered your business on various Internet directories (of course, we recommend YellowBot.com). You quickly read over the benefits of adding tags to your listing. Then you go off to your other daily tasks and completely forget about all that tagging stuff.
If you are not very familiar with the world of tagging, then this information should be particularly helpful.
Tags are essentially a way in which a wide variety of Internet content (blogs, videos, reviews, etc.) are categorized into neat little files. Tags can be added by the content creator, as well as pretty much any visitor to the blog, video or review site. There are numerous benefits to tagging:
- Tags establish a connection between the content creators and the readers or viewers of the content;
- Tags are basically a free method of enhancing the visibility of a particular piece of web content;
- Tags are a method for consumers to locate your content from a variety of sources;
- Tags help to open potential connections with additional content that may not have necessarily been linked;
- Tags are completely flexible according to each consumer's unique filing system;
- Tags are growing in popularity, and as more apps utilize tagging, more and more unique online connections can be created.
A good way to illustrate the value of tagging is to think about Youtube. Almost everyone has watched a Youtube video from time to time. When searching for a video, you enter specific search terms to find a particular video (i.e., "Big Bang Theory Bloopers"). You select the video you want to watch, and a scroll of related videos appears on the right side of the page. These related videos are partially determined by the tags associated with your selection. You notice not all the related videos are specifically connected with "The Big Bang Theory." Some may be video clips of other sitcoms or closely related video clips. You can see how tags created these connections and helped to enhance the number of visitors clicking on various content.
Hopefully this brief overview has been helpful in explaining the benefits of tagging. Now you should understand why it's important to spend a few moments adding tags to your content.